“Sam Kiang”(sanjiang) is a special term, there is no such place in China. “Sam Kiang” refers to three provinces in China, namely, Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Jiangxi.
It is believed that the term “Sam Kiang” first appeared in 1868 (Emperor Tongzhi’s 7th year). Chinese overseas in Japan established a Sam Kiang ancestral hall in the Xing Fu Temple at Nagaski and later formed a Hezhong Sam Kiang office.
The Singapore Sam Kiang Office was formed in 1906 by the pioneers of Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Jiangxi such as Mr.Pan Yun Qing, Mr. Cao Yu Chang, Mr. Fu Zhu Xian, Mr. Lu Jin Fa, Mr. Huang zhi Hui and others. Its application for registration was approved in 1908. The founding president was Mr. Fu Zhu Xian.
It changed its name to Sam Kiang Huay Kwan in 1927. The 1945 constitution broadened the definition of the term “Sam Kiang” to include immigrants from provinces along the Yangtze River, Yellow River and Heilongjiang. During the colonial era, emigrants who left China through Shanghai port were all referred to as “Shanghainese”.
www.samkiang.org - 23116 - Sam Kiang Huay Kwan
1 / 30